I was right but I wrongly thought I was wrong
peps...@gmail.com
2024-01-22 16:34:38 UTC
Here I made the right play but didn't give it much thought.
Afterwards, I felt sure this was an error.
Ace point games generate a lot of shots of course, and I
expected to be penalised for not clearing the 6 point.
The reason I was bearing off somewhat greedily was that I
hoped for the backgammon.
It also appears to be the best play at DMP.

I think 6/4 6/2 is not actually "safe" but gets the worst of both
worlds. Not only do we not bear off but we blot to 44/55/66.

I didn't realise this aspect and played the right play to bear off
a checker aiming for the backgammon.

Right play, wrong reason.

Paul

XGID=-fBBDEB----------bbcb-----:1:-1:1:42:2:0:0:11:10

X:Daniel O:XG Roller+
Score is X:2 O:0 11 pt.(s) match.
+13-14-15-16-17-18------19-20-21-22-23-24-+
| O O | | O O | +---+
| O O | | O O | | 2 |
| | | O | +---+
| | | |
| | | |
| |BAR| |
| | | X 6 |
| | | X X O |
| | | X X O |
| | | X X X X X O |
| | | X X X X X O |
+12-11-10--9--8--7-------6--5--4--3--2--1-+
Pip count X: 63 O: 202 X-O: 2-0/11
Cube: 2, O own cube
X to play 42

1. 4-ply 5/3 4/Off eq:+1.373
Player: 81.82% (G:64.41% B:19.91%)
Opponent: 18.18% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)

2. 4-ply 6/4 6/2 eq:+1.286 (-0.087)
Player: 79.83% (G:63.19% B:17.32%)
Opponent: 20.17% (G:0.03% B:0.00%)

3. 3-ply 4/2 4/Off eq:+1.220 (-0.153)
Player: 77.65% (G:60.87% B:18.86%)
Opponent: 22.35% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)

4. 1-ply 6/2 5/3 eq:+1.029 (-0.345)
Player: 73.90% (G:56.47% B:14.41%)
Opponent: 26.10% (G:0.81% B:0.02%)

5. 1-ply 6/Off eq:+0.969 (-0.404)
Player: 71.52% (G:54.17% B:16.02%)
Opponent: 28.48% (G:0.00% B:0.00%)

eXtreme Gammon Version: 2.10, MET: Kazaross XG2
Timothy Chow
2024-01-24 13:56:20 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Here I made the right play but didn't give it much thought.
Afterwards, I felt sure this was an error.
I see something here which I've noticed repeatedly in your
analysis of bearoff plays. You don't realize how bad it is
to put extra checkers on your 2pt, especially with no spares
on your 3pt.

---
Tim Chow
peps...@gmail.com
2024-01-24 14:27:34 UTC
Post by Timothy Chow
Post by ***@gmail.com
Here I made the right play but didn't give it much thought.
Afterwards, I felt sure this was an error.
I see something here which I've noticed repeatedly in your
analysis of bearoff plays. You don't realize how bad it is
to put extra checkers on your 2pt, especially with no spares
on your 3pt.
---
Tim Chow
Good point.
It reminds me of the old riddle.
What's the difference between Axel Reichert and Paul Epstein?
Axel's Isight algorithm penalises spares on the 2 point.