Construction problem
Paul Epstein
2020-07-05 20:20:26 UTC
Can anyone construct a position (including both checkers and cube)
in a money game where the equity of the players is exactly zero?
Assume (of course) that the initial roll at the very start of the game has
happened.
I don't think there is a position where the probability of
bearing off in one roll is 50%. However, there might be a position where
one side has 18 rolls which will lead to a cash no matter what, and the other
18 rolls give the opponent a cash.

Paul
b***@gmail.com
2020-07-05 22:17:28 UTC
Post by Paul Epstein
Can anyone construct a position (including both checkers and cube)
in a money game where the equity of the players is exactly zero?
Assume (of course) that the initial roll at the very start of the game has
happened.
I don't think there is a position where the probability of
bearing off in one roll is 50%. However, there might be a position where
one side has 18 rolls which will lead to a cash no matter what, and the other
18 rolls give the opponent a cash.
Paul
There are tons of these positions. I see them in passing while playing all the time.

Stick
Paul Epstein
2020-07-06 08:33:19 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Paul Epstein
Can anyone construct a position (including both checkers and cube)
in a money game where the equity of the players is exactly zero?
Assume (of course) that the initial roll at the very start of the game has
happened.
I don't think there is a position where the probability of
bearing off in one roll is 50%. However, there might be a position where
one side has 18 rolls which will lead to a cash no matter what, and the other
18 rolls give the opponent a cash.
Paul
There are tons of these positions. I see them in passing while playing all the time.
Stick
Yes, the last construction problem I made was (apparently) too hard.
This one's too easy. Just give someone 18 shots and put the cube in
the middle and make it a pass for the opponent if it's a hit and a
pass for the roller if it's a miss.

Paul