Asylum seekers from BGonline welcome at RGB?
BlueDice
2016-10-25 13:27:34 UTC
Wouldn't it be great if they all migrated here?
BD
Paul
2016-10-25 16:40:06 UTC
Post by BlueDice
Wouldn't it be great if they all migrated here?
Yes. Daniel "Raccoon" Murphy used to post a lot here, but he stopped. His posts were (almost) always interesting and fun to read. I miss Adam Tansley too -- a great player, great poster and a nice guy.

Paul
m***@gmail.com
2016-10-25 21:41:31 UTC
Any ideas what might have happened there? The main page seems to be working fine...
BlueDice
2016-10-25 21:49:19 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Post by BlueDice
Wouldn't it be great if they all migrated here?
--
BD
Any ideas what might have happened there? The main page seems to be working fine...
See my post of a few days ago...
I emailed Stick, so did Williampatte who says Stick knows about it.
Other than that I dont know
Hope it comes back soon :(
BD
Grunty
2016-10-26 01:17:31 UTC
As it's trendy in certain circles these days -- bet the Russians.
m***@gmail.com
2016-11-24 15:29:01 UTC
Looks like there was no backup copy of the forum otherwise it should have been restored already.
Stick, what did the necropsy show?
mpetch
2016-11-26 06:34:13 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Looks like there was no backup copy of the forum otherwise it should have been restored already.
Stick, what did the necropsy show?
In 2013 in a BGO post I happened to mention to Stick one advantage of RGB:

"One big advantage to R.G.B. is that the newsgroup data will likely outlive BGO."

His response:

"If you can come up with a way to make this into a bet in which the winner gets paid my pocket is open. I mean, I'm all ears."

---
I'll assume that Stick wasn't being cocky and that he must have the data backed up. I'm venturing to guess he is probably having a problem with the forum software itself (or a webserver config issue). If he didn't then I regret not taking his bet ;-)
m***@compuplus.net
2016-11-26 07:49:46 UTC
Post by mpetch
"One big advantage to R.G.B. is that the newsgroup
data will likely outlive BGO."
"If you can come up with a way to make this into a
bet in which the winner gets paid my pocket is open.
I'll assume that Stick wasn't being cocky and that
he must have the data backed up.
Aside from the observation that for mentally ill
gamblers, (i.e. both stick and you), anything can
be an opportunity for betting, there were other
arguments in favor of RGB.

One which I deemed most important and underlined
is that RGB is a "USENET" newsgroup that doesn't
belong to nor is under the control of any entity!

Google only provides a service by archiving its
contents and allowing posting to it via "WWW".

One reason for the problem may be that stick's
software was way too obsolete and probably no
longer maintained.

In any case, what are you all waiting to start
a new similar private forum and forget about the
old one which was a garbage dump anyway...

MK
Tim Chow
2016-11-26 15:15:09 UTC
Post by mpetch
"One big advantage to R.G.B. is that the newsgroup data will likely outlive BGO."
I remember that, and I agreed. I think I participated in that thread,
because I remember asking Stick if he had any provision to keep BGO going
in the event of his own death. From his response, I gather that he had
not given that question any thought.

The fact that Google archives r.g.b. means that it is robust to death of
any particular human being. Of course there's no guarantee that someone at
Google will decide suddenly to stop archiving r.g.b. At that point, it is
not clear what would happen to r.g.b. It would not die immediately because
of USENET's distributed architecture, but I doubt that anyone else is keeping
extensive archives the way Google is, so past posts might disappear. And of
course if people stop participating, or if the servers all shut down one by
one then r.g.b. will die too.

---
Tim Chow
b***@gmail.com
2016-11-30 18:18:29 UTC
Post by Tim Chow
Post by mpetch
[...]
Yahoo games went down. I will outlive rgb

Stick
Grunty
2016-12-02 02:40:49 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Tim Chow
Post by mpetch
"One big advantage to R.G.B. is that the newsgroup data will likely outlive BGO."
I remember that, and I agreed.
Looks like the exodus of asylum seekers just started out.
Post by b***@gmail.com
Yahoo games went down.
Maybe I'm missing something -- was BGO somehow technically related to Yahoo?
Post by b***@gmail.com
I will outlive rgb
Stick
Folks were wondering about BGO contents, not about you specifically.
y***@gmail.com
2016-12-02 21:56:01 UTC
I don't know if anything can be retrieved from archive.org but some cleaver person might find be able to do something. http://web.archive.org/web/*/Bgonline.org
m***@compuplus.net
2016-11-26 07:36:05 UTC
Post by m***@gmail.com
Looks like there was no backup copy of the forum
otherwise it should have been restored already.
Almost impossible to have a site without some sort
of hosting service backup. In the past, they used
to offer user maintained backups but lately they
discontinued this service and left users to make
their own backups with the additional service of
restoring by the hosting provider (which they may
charge whatever they can get for it)... So, it
may be, at the most, just a question of paying the
hosting provider for the site restoration expenses.

MK